Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

MSC Potential

Specifically for questions pertaining to OCS at Ft. Benning- 3/11 IN.
JAG1
ArmyOCS.com Member

MSC Potential

Postby JAG1 Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:33 am

Good morning,

I realize this topic has been beaten to death on here, but I still cannot find a direct answer regarding the option. All the information says MSC is no longer an option for OCS. I understand that, but I also read that it requires approval from TSG. If that is the case, if i put together the 4187 request packet with appropriate LOR's and potentially even approval from OTSG, would it be possible or should I focus my energy elsewhere?

The reason I am trying to find this, all of my experience and both of my degrees are in healthcare / healthcare administration. I've had several leaders tell me about branch transfer options down the road, but i'd rather not lose time with a transfer.

I appreciate all of the advice and information this site provides and look forward to any guidance anyone may have. I have a plan B and C if this doesn't work. Finally theres plan D, the Army just tells me where to be and thats where i'll be.

-Joshua
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Re: MSC Potential

Postby PhantomWarrior Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 am

The policy has been "No MSC at OCS" for a long time now. There were some prior medics with sad faces in my OCS class a decade ago due to that policy. I'm far removed from the current environment at OCS. But my impression is the that the 4187s are mostly to give branches already allocated for that class to candidates with significant qualifications. No MSC slots, no 4187. Aviation is an exception to that rule. But Aviation is also explicit about allowing that process for applying.

Maybe a 4187 would work for you. But it feels like an iffy proposition. And you only have 12 weeks at OCS to attempt a non-standard method of branching. If the cadre aren't on board you've got no options. Given your background I think you might be better off trying to leverage your connections with AMEDD now and get yourself pre-branched into MSC. That kind of thing happens occasionally. Especially when someone with stars is involved. Then you show up with your MSC golden ticket already in hand.

I did something similar as a brand new 2LT to finagle a branch swap with a classmate. Despite the support of our cadre the Army's policy was "no branch swaps." So there was nothing they could do. I found someone that knew someone and they made it happen. There are no guarantees with this sort of thing. But that's the route I would try.
JAG1
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby JAG1 Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Thank you sir, I appreciate the information. I will definitely reach in that direction and see what I can find out. I know they have direct commission spots available right now, 4 that I am tracking, and no doubt those will be highly competitive. This is the first time in quite a while they opened up the 70B for direct commission.
Jpfull5026
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Jpfull5026 Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:47 am

The chance of getting MSC is very slim at OCS. You’d be better off in a direct commissioning route or a different route.
It hasn’t really been an option in recent cycles.

Return to “Active Duty OCS”