Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Staff officer for 2nd LT. in Civil Affairs or Psy Ops? - Army Reserve

Postings about training for every MOS and branch within the Army.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Staff officer for 2nd LT. in Civil Affairs or Psy Ops? - Army Reserve

Postby RedOctopus Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:50 pm

I don't want to get too far ahead of myself as I still have to complete my officer board, however I do want to plan ahead for possible options.

I know that CA and Psy Ops are non-accession branches where you have to be 1st LT (P) to access into, but I have read that it is possible being a 2nd LT and being a staff officer in a CA or Psy Ops unit, which could help in going that way once able to do so.

I'm hazy on what happens after the officer board (and hopefully selection). Since this is for the Reserve, do I find a unit or do I find out after my board that I was randomly assigned a branch at an available unit? If the latter, I am amicable towards other branches then transferring later on. I'm just curious now.

I found two units: the 351st Civil Affairs Command and 14th Psychological Operations Battalion in my vicinity.
Last edited by RedOctopus on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Re: Staff officer for 2nd LT. in Civil Affairs or Psy Ops?

Postby Son of the Raven Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:19 pm

In AD it is very unlikely for a 2LT to be assigned to a CA or MISO (new name for PsyOps) unit. In the Reserve and Guard it is a different story.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Staff officer for 2nd LT. in Civil Affairs or Psy Ops?

Postby RedOctopus Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:27 pm

In AD it is very unlikely for a 2LT to be assigned to a CA or MISO (new name for PsyOps) unit. In the Reserve and Guard it is a different story.

Ah! I'm sorry. I thought I put Reserve. But now I reread and it sounds like I meant active duty. I'll make that edit.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Re: Staff officer for 2nd LT. in Civil Affairs or Psy Ops? - Army Reserve

Postby 35FUSAR Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:14 pm

The USAR CA branch does poach from other branches, but you wont be able to enter as a 38A 2LT.

I inquired into it myself even as a commissioned 2LT (but without BOLC at the time), and they said come back when I'm Branch Qualified.

They will probably work with you once are a fully trained 2LT.
Schwar3066
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Schwar3066 Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks for posting this - I too am seeking a slot at OCS for CA on the reserves side. My recruiter said it was possible to get picked up by a CA unit right out of the gate in the reserves (as opposed to active duty). I guess this information was incorrect?

Thanks all.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Before this thread goes too far off the rails, we have a user on this forum who is a Reserve CA officer. His username is "skasif11" He has a lot of posts but there is a lot of good information in there if you are interested in CA in the USAR.

https://www.armyocs.com/search.php?keyw ... mit=Search

The path he has described for applicants interested in CA is to commission into a support branch (MI, SC, QM, AG) and get slotted into a CA unit as a staff officer. Then when you have the time in you can go to the CA Qualification Course and become a full fledged 38A.

That's about the extent of my knowledge. But it sounds like you can't be a CA officer as a 2LT but you can still go to a CA unit. With the potential to then become a CA officer in the future.
RedOctopus
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby RedOctopus Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:47 pm

The path he has described for applicants interested in CA is to commission into a support branch (MI, SC, QM, AG) and get slotted into a CA unit as a staff officer. Then when you have the time in you can go to the CA Qualification Course and become a full fledged 38A.

That's about the extent of my knowledge. But it sounds like you can't be a CA officer as a 2LT but you can still go to a CA unit. With the potential to then become a CA officer in the future.
Yeah! That's what I had read which prompted my original post, not to be CA/ Psyops as a 2LT but rather in a supporting role at one of those units. It's unfortunate that Skasif has been offline for several months now; hopefully he returns.
JB
CPT
CPT

Postby JB Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:28 am

You could sit for 4+ years in a staff role or you could find another unit and gain platoon leader experience until you're able to go the CA route.

Return to “Branches, MOSs, and Advanced Individual Training (AIT)”