Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

GI Bill and OCS Grads

Pursuing your masters, looking for good distance education programs, etc.
Geo22
CPT
CPT

GI Bill and OCS Grads

Postby Geo22 Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:39 am

First of all much thanks to this site, which has always been a great source of Info for me over the past three years. I graduated OCS 6th of August 2009 and am currently serving in Afghaanistan with 2-4 IN Battalion as a Rifle Platoon PL.
I apologize in advance if my question has already been addressed in a previous forum. I did try looking and have found nothing directly answering my specific question.
So I have been doing some research on the Post 9/11 GI Bill and I have seen information that service academy and ROTC scholarship Officers are eligible for the benefits, but that their initial service obligation will not count towards the 36 months needed for the full benefits. So what is the deal with OCS, college option officers? Does our initial service obligation time count towards the 36 months needed for full benefits or not?
Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.
Again thank you to the managers of this site; it is a priceless resource.
Keep your heads down!
Lionheart
Retired Officer

Postby Lionheart Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:41 am

Not true. The only thing that delays the eligibility is the student loan payoff. USMA and ROTC grads must serve the same three years to be fully vested as everyone else.
...racist homophobes who talk like kind of victorian steampunk neo-nazi get no free pass for being \'misguided.\' - The Badger
Geo22
CPT
CPT

Postby Geo22 Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:13 am

ok well on the MOAA website it specifically states that for USMA and ROTC scholarship officers their initial service obligation will not count owars the three years of active duty service needed for full benefits. It does not say anything about OCS, however, which is why I am asking.
ArmyASU09
1LT
1LT

Postby ArmyASU09 Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:41 am

My understanding and what I was told at MEPS when I signed, was that as long as I did not participate in the student load repayment plan after three years I will be eligible for the GI bill. I have yet to leave for BCT, but this is what I have been told. Also I was told for the first year there would be a payment taken out for the GI Bill. So I am guessing that if you paid into it for the first year in service and you are not partaking in the student loan repayment plan you should be eligible after three years.
The Badger
MAJ
MAJ

Postby The Badger Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:55 am

Geo22 wrote:ok well on the MOAA website it specifically states ....

MOAA is a great organization, but the VA administers the GI Bill. Why don't you query them instead?
ATW!

"Working hard at something you enjoy isn't 'dedication.' Working hard at something you hate is." -Frailer
Lionheart
Retired Officer

Postby Lionheart Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm

ArmyASU09 wrote:My understanding and what I was told at MEPS when I signed, was that as long as I did not participate in the student load repayment plan after three years I will be eligible for the GI bill. I have yet to leave for BCT, but this is what I have been told. Also I was told for the first year there would be a payment taken out for the GI Bill. So I am guessing that if you paid into it for the first year in service and you are not partaking in the student loan repayment plan you should be eligible after three years.

There is no cost to the post 9/11 GI Bill. If you're having money taken out of your check something is wrong.
...racist homophobes who talk like kind of victorian steampunk neo-nazi get no free pass for being \'misguided.\' - The Badger
Voodoo94
MAJ and Moderator
MAJ and Moderator

Postby Voodoo94 Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Here's the deal with the post 9/11 GI Bill as I understand it.

USMA grads can get eligibility for it AFTER they complete their 5 year ADSO. In other words, they cannot pay down the USMA ADSO and get qualifying GI Bill time concurrently.

Ditto for ROTC scholarship grads. They owe 4 years for the scholarship and the 3 qualifying years for full post-9/11 GI Bill cannot accrue concurrently.

In other words, USMA grads need to serve 8 years for full GI Bill and an ROTC scholarship winner needs to serve 7.

OCS and ROTC non-scholarship grads don't have these restrictions. They just need 3 years of qualifying service. This should be achieved before they complete their 3 year ADSO as an officer.

What has changed? Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, USMA and ROTC scholarship grads can qualify for the GI Bill after served their full ADSOs.

Under the MGIB, USMA and ROTC Scholarship winners were legally prohibited from getting the MGIB - even if they served for 30 years.

I hope this helps.
"Where your talents and the needs of the world cross lies your calling" -
Aristotle
Geo22
CPT
CPT

Postby Geo22 Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey Badger
I will query the VA, but currently I am in Afghanistan, like I said, and they are rather hard to reach, so I'd thought I'd query this forum, where someone with knowledge and experience, like voodoo could answer my question.
TM Voodoo
Lionheart
Retired Officer

Postby Lionheart Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:54 pm

I stand corrected. Thanks VooDoo.
aj1
1LT
1LT

Postby aj1 Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Queso wrote:
ArmyASU09 wrote:My understanding and what I was told at MEPS when I signed, was that as long as I did not participate in the student load repayment plan after three years I will be eligible for the GI bill. I have yet to leave for BCT, but this is what I have been told. Also I was told for the first year there would be a payment taken out for the GI Bill. So I am guessing that if you paid into it for the first year in service and you are not partaking in the student loan repayment plan you should be eligible after three years.

There is no cost to the post 9/11 GI Bill. If you're having money taken out of your check something is wrong.

I am having 100 dollars per month taken out, I have asked the civilians at S-1 before and they claim they dont know anything about it.
The Badger
MAJ
MAJ

Postby The Badger Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:08 am

Geo, Voodoo's answers (as I understand the Post 9/11 GI Bill) are correct. The VA's website has an FAQ that should also be helpful.

https://www.gibill2.va.gov/cgi-bin/vba. ... td_alp.php

Google...
ATW!

"Working hard at something you enjoy isn't 'dedication.' Working hard at something you hate is." -Frailer
gvsu_mike
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby gvsu_mike Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:15 pm

aj1 wrote:
Queso wrote:

I am having 100 dollars per month taken out, I have asked the civilians at S-1 before and they claim they dont know anything about it.

I am also having $100/month taken out, but I was under the impression from all the in-processing briefs that it was the norm.
Lionheart
Retired Officer

Postby Lionheart Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:53 pm

2 years after the post 9/11 GI Bill went into effect, and we're still taking out the money for the MGIB? :roll:
aj1
1LT
1LT

Postby aj1 Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:18 pm

Queso wrote:2 years after the post 9/11 GI Bill went into effect, and we're still taking out the money for the MGIB? :roll:

Sir, I dont plan on ever using the MGIB but possibly the post 9/11 GI Bill, do you know of a way I can get the money they took out back?
aj1
1LT
1LT

Postby aj1 Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Turns out we can only get the 1200 dollars back if we use all 36 months of the new gi bill.
http://www.gibill.com/blog/why-did-they ... -bill.html
MiNcO
CPT
CPT

Postby MiNcO Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:56 pm

You should contact VA before you give up, they will give you the final word.
Abshule
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Abshule Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:39 pm

Sorry to dig up this old post, but I just signed my contract last week as a College Op, and the GI bill wasn't even brought up. So does that mean that because the GI Bill isn't mentioned in my contract I will not be eligible to receive it? How do I ensure that I get it after my initial Active Duty obligation of 4 years?
chriskzg
CPT
CPT

Postby chriskzg Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:06 am

I believe that everyone is eligible after 3 years of active duty service automatically, no need to be in your contract, unless you take some other benefit and then it will push it back to 6 years. When I went through I received student loan repayment and had to wait 6 years.
<div><br /><br /> </div>
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:08 pm

How do I ensure that I get it after my initial Active Duty obligation of 4 years?
Where were you told that OCS is a 4 year commitment. Unless something has changed recently, OCS has been a 3 year commitment.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous
Abshule
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Abshule Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks for y'alls replies. My Active Duty obligation is 3 years and 27 weeks, guy at MEPS said that was the standard minimum.
Son of the Raven
MAJ and Administrator
MAJ and Administrator

Postby Son of the Raven Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks for y'alls replies. My Active Duty obligation is 3 years and 27 weeks, guy at MEPS said that was the standard minimum.
It's three years from your Date of Commission. The extra weeks encompass Basic and OCS.
Son of the Raven
This means you can't drool in your notebook all week and pass. -- PhantomWarrior
When you can not change the facts; bend your attitude. -- Anonymous

Return to “Education Opportunities”